Old October 1st 13, 11:30 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
dizzy[_2_]

Default E46 Coils and shocks

"David Haggas" > wrote:

>"dizzy" > wrote:
>> Scott M > wrote:
>>
>>>The E46 Sport suspension is noted as being too bloody hard. I've got a
>>>320d SE and that bashes and crashes more than I'd like sometimes so I
>>>can't begin to imagine what the Sport is like.

>> It's not that hard. Firm, but impressively compliant, in my opinion.
>> "Bashing and crashing" is does not do at all. Just want I want, in a
>> sports sedan. Certainly softer than what a true "sports car" has.

>Nothing wrong with the M suspension if the road quality is good. An ex racing driver drove my 330 convertible
>and liked it very much but admitted he would prefer his SE for everyday driving on the badly maintained roads
>in our area. I understand Alpina versions of the E46 actually have softer springing than the sport so there
>must be something in that.

Of course, the tires matter. With the 16-inchers that came on my
sport/premium-pack 323, I would call the ride plush. In the Summer I
run 215/45-17's, and it's somewhat jiggly, but still not "bloody
hard", even on rough roads.

An M3 with 19's, I don't think I would like. 8)