Old June 7th 10, 12:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
IYM[_3_]

Default 07 Vue (V6) Ignition Switch Problem

Oppie wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> I've been having a problem with my VUE ignition switch. I sometimes
>> cannot turn the key or it will only turn part way. When I turn the
>> ignition off it is sometimes difficult to remove the key. A local
>> dealer suggested WD40. This worked for a while but the problem
>> quickly returned. I tried the spare key with the same results. He
>> claimed that this was a common problem with the 07 Vue.
>>
>> Does anyone have a solution or is replacing the ignition switch key
>> assembly the only fix? If so, is this an expensive repair?
>>
>> Howard

> I generally find WD-40 useless. As a penetrating fluid, others are far
> better (I use Kroil from KanoLabs.com). For lubicants, WD-40 leaves
> little or nothing of a film behind. After a day or so, there is no
> lubrication left.

That's because WD-40 is not a lube...It's a Water Displacement formula
(hence the WD). It's primarily meant to displace moisture build up and
works great if you ever drive your car through water too deep or
something....Spray it on Spark Plugs, Wires, etc...Used to spray it in
the Distributer Cap (when they used them) when water got in there..

BUT it does work as a side benefit to loosen up stuck things for a VERY
short time. I second (or third) the Graphite lube solution below...