Old June 6th 10, 08:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_7_]

Default 07 Vue (V6) Ignition Switch Problem

> wrote in message
> I've been having a problem with my VUE ignition switch. I sometimes
> cannot turn the key or it will only turn part way. When I turn the
> ignition off it is sometimes difficult to remove the key. A local
> dealer suggested WD40. This worked for a while but the problem
> quickly returned. I tried the spare key with the same results. He
> claimed that this was a common problem with the 07 Vue.
>
> Does anyone have a solution or is replacing the ignition switch key
> assembly the only fix? If so, is this an expensive repair?
>
> Howard

I generally find WD-40 useless. As a penetrating fluid, others are far
better (I use Kroil from KanoLabs.com). For lubicants, WD-40 leaves little
or nothing of a film behind. After a day or so, there is no lubrication
left.

Graphite lube is the traditional fix but it tends to be very messy. If you
do use it, do so sparingly. A better choice is some of the 'dry film'
lubricants that leave a dry film of Teflon after the solvent vehicle
evaporates. Again, use this sparingly but it won't leave a mess like
graphite. Sometimes you can get away with putting a light film of grease on
your key and inserting it into the lock a few times. All depends where in
the lock it is sticking.

Don't ignore if this is an automatic transmission, there is a cable from the
shifter to the key lock. The key can only be removed in Park. The cable
might be binding or need some adjustment.

Oppie
<2001 lw300>