Old August 1st 05, 05:19 AM
Abeness

jim beam wrote:
> but abe, have you ever seen a scuba tank explode?

Nope.

> gasoline fuel cell, absolutely. hydrogen fuel cell? no chance.

All I said was it's being tried, jim. The RAND Corporation thought in
1954 that home computers of 2004 would fit within a single room. I don't
have the source of the picture/caption I have (probably from something
like Popular Science), but the sucker is complete with a large steering
wheel (yes, a steering wheel), lots of analog gauges covering a whole
wall (yes, gauges!), and a maybe 18" teletype tractor feed printer. It's
also got a large TV mounted high on a wall. With the Fortran language,
it was expected to be easy to use. Hah hah.

Point is that we don't get anywhere unless we try stuff, however
far-fetched and unworkable it may seem to some. Fact is that Honda is
trying the fuel cell in consumer vehicles. Whether it will ultimately be
safe enough for mass use, I dunno, but they're trying it with hydrogen
and I'll be interested to see where it goes. I don't think that the
project would have gotten as far as it has if the safety issues were
insurmountable.