Old January 11th 08, 08:31 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Terminal Crazy

Default 80 series Landcruiser rear axle removal - need advice.

In article >, MugMechanic
> wrote:
> 2. Using a hammer and brass punch on the studs remove the cone washers
> from the axle shaft flange. {Here I'm stuck. I've tried tapping the
> studs with a brass drift, but nothing happens. I can see the "cone
> washers" but how hard do I have to belt the studs to get them out? I'm
> afraid to bash the studs too hard for fear of damaging them. I've
> applied some WD40 and let it stand overnight.}

Hiya,
I recently adjusted the front wheel bearing on my wifes 91 Hulux surf
SSR-X. I've never come across the cone washers before but if you look
closely they are split to allow a change of diameter. They were in really
tight. You could try heat & wd40 but I just 'kept beating' on them behind
the split and between the gasket of the flange. The gasket itself wasn't
for moving either. Also thread the wheel nuts back on to protect the thread
and tap the bolt helps to loosen the cones.

HTH

--
Terminal_Crazy

Mitch - 1995 Z28 LT1 M6