Old May 14th 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Mike

Default Smoke after spark plug change

"Han08" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Hi,
>
> First post so if I waffle, bear with me! We have just had our spark plugs
> changed and she drove back fine from the garage but on starting her this
> morning, plumes of smoke bellowed from the exhaust, smelt a little like
> something was burning. We also just changed the oil and filter the day
> before..... have the spark plugs been put in incorrectly, threaded
> perhaps?

I have to wonder if there is a leak in the valve cover gasket that left oil
in one of the spark plug wells....mine was the back one.

It could be that when the mechanic removed the spark plug on that cylinder,
the oil in that well went into the cylinder? Just a wild guess. You could
pull each of the plug wires and see if one is all full of oil to confirm my
guess.

I am also thinking that the smoke has stopped already after a fairly short
time.