Old August 16th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Bill[_5_]

Default Check Engine Light Came On

Peter Chupity wrote:
> In article .com>,
> says...
>
> > Thank you again, but my local Mazda dealer courteously told me
> > to fork off, I'd have to come in with the car to tell me what OBD 1
> > code # 7135 (or 1135- writing was terrible) denotes. At, I assume,
> > their minimum rate of 1/2 hr and 40 dollars.

> On my '98, the 1135 code means the front O2 sensor ~heater~ has gone
> open circuit. I had this happen, and replaced the sensor with a generic
> version (required splicing leads) as the dealer didn't feel this was
> covered under the emissions warranty. The generic was cheap enough and
> the install simple enough that it wasn't worth arguing.
>
> Post mortem on the sensor showed that the connection to the heater
> element had broken off at the braze. I think it's a manufacturing
> defect...
>
> > If anybody can tell me what those codes are, I'll send you
> > something really nice if you like music. (If you don't, I'll think of
> > something else!)

> What kind of music???

Thank you Peter, Lanny, Mike, et alia. My only question now
is, I assume that a generic Walker brand sensor from OxygenSensors.com,
at 60 dollars, is a decent price for a generic part? I have a shade
tree guy who will put it in for 20 dollars. I know I'm probably going
to try it myself. All an observer would see would be me, ass in the
air over the engine compartment, and the sounds of small screws pinging
their way towards the ground- They never *hit* the ground, the Gods of
Bud the Weiser get more of a laugh watching somebody with one of those
magnetic pickup tools- then the louder bang of a 22mm wrench falling
and breaking something expen$ive and unreachable. Head halfway to the
ground by now, our noble repair-warrior with no feeling in his left
hand yells SOMEthing loud, and wife comes trotting out with another
cold malted beverage and leaves it on the run, and the battle resumes.
Numb noble warrier quits around midnight when he cannot find the
boxed part he was to install, and the 5 year old $4.99 trouble light
loses an electrical tape splice in the cord and sends 110V through
entire engine AND N.N. warrior. N.N.W. is so buzzed from 16 bottles of
Bud Ice he doesn't really know what happened, but he knows he didn't
like it, and that wife will find lost part next day.
We leave numb noble warrior swearing at Jay Leno on TV, and cursing
Bud of Weiser for only putting 18 bottles in 18 pack of malted beverage
and he retires, perhaps to dream of a better day.....

-Bill

(PM me with a wish list of bootlegs, most of what I have left is
Springsteen and Dire Straits/Knopfler, sons hijacked most originals...
I owe all of you....