Old June 26th 05, 12:41 AM
Nate Nagel

Harry K wrote:

> Larry Scholnick wrote:
>
>>While driving in our nation's capital yesterday, I saw a configuration that really seemed to make no
>>sense.
>>
>>The signal cycle began with a left green-arrow (with a red ball) for both eastbound and westbound
>>traffic. However, the leftmost lane was marked for Straight OR Left. As a result, if the first car
>>in the left lane was not turning left (which he wasn't required to do), nobody moved during the left
>>green-arrow cycle. Once the left green-arrow went out and the green ball came on, that first car
>>proceeded and the line stopped when the first car that wanted to turn left got to the intersection
>>and waited for oncoming traffic.
>>
>>It seems like left green-arrows are almost useless when there isn't a dedicated left-turn lane.
>>Does this really work out somehow? Am I missing something?
>>
>>P.S. I found myself in DC as part of Great Race (www.greatrace.com), a 14-day cross-country driving
>>event from Washington (DC) to Washington (Tacoma).

> Such configurations are not unuasual. How do you expect people to make
> left turns in congested traffic areas without it? They are usually
> seen where the road width does not allow space for a dedicated left
> turn lane. The locals where they do occur are well aware of them and
> are quite tolerant of being blocked.
>
> Harry K

Actually when in DC for the most part I always try to stay in the middle
lane of whatever street I'm on unless I know I'm going to be turning
soon - you never know when the right lane might go turn-only, and you
never know when someone may be turning left in front of you. And yes
left turn lanes are rare in the city.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.