Old June 25th 05, 12:57 PM
Nate Nagel
external usenet poster

Larry Scholnick wrote:
> "Nate Nagel" wrote:
>
>>Larry Scholnick wrote:
>>
>>>While driving in our nation's capital yesterday, I saw a configuration that really seemed to make
>>>no sense.
>>>
>>>The signal cycle began with a left green-arrow (with a red ball) for both eastbound and westbound
>>>traffic. However, the leftmost lane was marked for Straight OR Left. As a result, if the first
>>>car in the left lane was not turning left (which he wasn't required to do), nobody moved during
>>>the left green-arrow cycle. Once the left green-arrow went out and the green ball came on, that
>>>first car proceeded and the line stopped when the first car that wanted to turn left got to the
>>>intersection and waited for oncoming traffic.
>>>
>>>It seems like left green-arrows are almost useless when there isn't a dedicated left-turn lane.
>>>Does this really work out somehow? Am I missing something?

>>
>>Nope... where was this light? I don't think I've ever seen a turn arrow where there wasn't a
>>dedicated turn lane...

>
>
> It was on the main drag after exiting eastbound I-66 at US 50; I think it was Constitution Avenue.
>
>>>P.S. I found myself in DC as part of Great Race (www.greatrace.com), a 14-day cross-country
>>>driving event from Washington (DC) to Washington (Tacoma).

>>
>>Cool... I find myself in DC 'cause that's where I work
>>
>>Only obviously Great-Race related car I spotted though was a '54 Studebaker... very nice...
>>what's your ride if you don't mind me asking?
>>
>>nate

>
>
> I'm part of the organizing crew, driving a 2005 Ford Taurus (we don't get to drive the old cars).
> If you go to DC today (Saturday), you'll see 100 classic cars lined up near the Capitol, ready to
> leave at noon.
>

Heh... not gonna happen. I just started a new job last Monday; I've
been logging about 100ish miles a day since then. You can't pay me
enough to drive back into the city today...!

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Ads