Old December 15th 08, 11:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default Does brake fluid have a shelf life?

disston wrote:
> Do not use DOT 5 in anything that already has DOT 3/4 in it. It will
> cause you to have to change all the seals, o-rings and little rubber
> thingies. You can mix 3 and 4 but not 5. #5 was sold about 25 years
> ago as some hotrod brake helper. A lot of bikers bought it and ended
> up replaceing the seals because their systems came with #4 and I've
> heard that even if you try to flush the old stuf out it still will not
> work. Turns out the #5 is also not dependable for heavy use, I'm
> getting vague on this, but I think it boils at a lower temp. Only
> advantage of #5 is it doesn't absorb water so there is less chance of
> rusting brake parts in systems that never have the fluid changed.
>
> My recomendation is to flush brake systems completely once a year. I
> know there are manfacturers recomendations and this sounds pretty
> lofty of me but it is how I try to do it and at a cost of less than $5
> per car or $1 per bike, I'm stiking with it.
>
> Use the old fluid at your own risk but, sense you asked, if I had any
> systems that were using fluid, like sometimes my car needs fluid till
> I get around to fixing it, I would use it there but I don't think I
> would put the fluid you ask about in a good brake system.
>
> I hadn't heard that they switched from SS to brass for brake sleaves.
> Just a guess but I'll bet the brass gives longer service because
> Stainless Steal is not really stainless.

I have heard that you *can* switch to DOT 5 if you first flush
completely with alcohol and then blow everything dry with air. If you
have a pressure bleeder and some 70% rubbing alcohol you could probably
take a pretty good stab at it. I just don't see the point as IMHO
whatever fluid you use should still be changed regularly and DOT 3/4
works better than DOT 5 anyway.

I have heard that there are now some fluids called "DOT 5.1" that meet
DOT 5 specs for boiling point but are otherwise similar to and
intermiscible with DOT 3/4. If I start seeing them on the shelf at my
FLAPS I'd be interested to try them to see if there are any downsides.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel