Old December 15th 08, 09:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

Default Does brake fluid have a shelf life?

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 20:28:09 -0000, "Mortimer" > wrote:

>"Vic Smith" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 12:55:57 -0500, "Steve W." >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>Guess you don't bother to check the oil or coolant either.

>> As a matter of fact I hardly ever do that anymore. The cars I'm
>> running now went like this.
>> A '90 Corsica 2.2 I replaced the hoses/coolant/thermostat and popped
>> the GM tablets in because I saw a rust stain on the head.
>> 10 years ago when I bought it. The rad cap hasn't been twisted since.
>> Why would I look? It doesn't freeze and it doesn't overheat.
>> If I was going to keep it a few more years I might change
>> hoses/coolant again. But I ain't.
>> First serious problem it gets retired.
>> Pretty much the same with the '97 Lumina.
>> Did the hoses/coolant/thermo 5 years ago when I bought it.
>> Since the girls took it to Florida last year I put new
>> hoses/coolant/thermo on it again, and threw in a water pump too.

>> I change oil 2500-3000.

>What an interesting paradox: you don't check/change the brake fluid or
>coolant, but you change the oil every 2500-3000 miles when for many cars the
>service intervals (and therefore oil change intervals) may be 10-15,000
>miles.

Sure. And I suppose it's paradoxical that I don't use Bardahl,
Amsoil, Mobil 1, Teflon, Rain-X, do oil analysis, sprinkle pimp oil,
wax weekly, have spinner hubcaps, dice hanging from the mirror, a
Mother Mary dash figurine, various decals, etc, etc.
Guess I'm just one interesting and mysterious son of a bitch who will
never be truly understood.
But my cars always do what they're supposed to do.
Except when they don't.
BTW, when I change oil I wipe the battery with a clean rag.
And dump the ashtray.
Maybe that's really why I change the oil. It's a reminder.
Wait. All that sounds pretty boring. I take it back.

--Vic