Old August 22nd 05, 06:36 PM
Frank Boettcher

On 22 Aug 2005 10:06:45 -0700, "Ed" > wrote:

>I have a problem where my 91 accord lx either turns over but does not
>start, or starts and stall within 2 seconds. After starting and
>stalling it has trouble starting again. Once it gets going it is fine,
>and sometimes it starts ok. It does not seem to be connected to heat,
>etc. It has happened with the car warned up, and the car cold.
>

>I took out the spark plug once and was able to get spark against the
>value cover bolt from 1/4 inch away.
>I have sprayed starting fluid in the air intake and started with gas
>pedal down all the way and that has worked a couple times
>I replaced the spark plug and that was enough to get it going once.
>
>There is plenty of gas.
>I replaced the whole distributor(excpet ignition coil) and replaced the
>ignitor(oem) about 4 months ago(and adjusted the timing). The checked
>the resistence on the ignition coil then and it looked ok. Replaced
>fuel filter(aftermarket) 6 months ago. The checked the resistence on
>the
>I tested the resistence of the spark plug wires and they are well
>within spec.
>When I took about the spark plugs, I think 2 of them had oil on the
>inside.
>The dealer checked my injectors a couple months ago.
>The check engine light is not on when started. I checked the codes
>and the the check engine light did not flash but the sport light did.
>I thought it was the check engine light the flashes??? the sport light
>flashed 1, 2, 7, 8 which does not seem to make a lot of sense.
>
>Any ideas?

Is your ignition switch original? Just for kicks when it does the
stalling two seconds after you start it, hold the switch a little
toward the start position (in other words don't let it spring all the
way back to the run position). See if it keeps running. If so, your
switch is failing and you won't get a code on it.

Has your main relay been changed/reworked?