Old August 10th 05, 08:11 PM
SVTKate

When we were out there last weekend, there were at least a hundred cars out
there, not all of them racing but a bunch of them did.
Over and over and over....

Kristen even got to ride down the track in an SS Camaro that did a 6.65 in
the 1/8th and he was NOT really pushing it cause he knew her momma would
whoop him

"AGuyNamedSteve" > wrote in message
nk.net...
: What kind of turnout do they get on $5 nights?
:
: Are we talking dozens of cars or hundreds?
:
: SVTKate wrote:
: > Have a peek,
: > http://outlawten5.com/
: >
: >
: >
: > "AGuyNamedSteve" > wrote in message
: > k.net...
: > : You're lucky with something like that for only $5. They started a
: > : street legal drag program here several years ago. I think it now
costs
: > : over $20 to get in and you're lucky to get many runs at all.
: > :
: > : For the $5 program, do they just run the lights and forget about the
: > : ET's? Or is it a full test-n-tune style setup?
: > :
: > : I guess you need the ET's to determine safety equipment, to comply
with
: > : insurance, NHRA/IHRA rules for associated tracks, etc...
: > :
: > : But it seems that it could still be stripped down to the minimum cost
: > : for the track while keeping things within safety standards.
: > :
: > : Unfortunately, when something like this gets popular, they immediately
: > : start to jack up prices to turn profits. Thus it's back to the
streets
: > : where the price is free, but the risks are higher.
: > :
: > : Steve
: > : 72 Skylark Custom455
: > :
: > : SVTKate wrote:
: > : > I think you're gettin' old Patrick.
: > : >
: > : > Give them a place to do it, and let them have some fun.
: > : >
: > : > We were going to do it anyway, they will too.
: > : >
: > : > Here, there is a strip in Jackson that anyone can run anything as
many
: > times
: > : > as they want for $5.00 for the whole evening.
: > : > Last Friday night we saw Quads racing, a motorcycle that was doing
some
: > : > amazing times with nitros, Hot Rods, and a dork in a PT Cruiser that
had
: > : > everyone laughing but he never gave up and did better each time and
so
: > so
: > : > much more.
: > : >
: > : > They get a shot at racing, get their time slips and they are in a
: > controlled
: > : > environment. Meaning NOT on the street.
: > : >
: > : > Some of the cars were pro quality, others were pretty sad, all had
fun
: > and
: > : > there were several groups having a beer along side the track and
: > watching.
: > : > Families (like mine) everyone had fun. There was even a mom, her
hubby
: > and a
: > : > couple of her teenagers in a BMW that was not fast, but she ran
about
: > three
: > : > times and had a grin all over her face.
: > : >
: > : > Something should be available to people who like to play with their
cars
: > all
: > : > across the country. If someone had the capital to make it a
nationwide
: > : > thing, I think it would be as hot as Sonic.
: > : >
: > : > Kate
: > : >
: > : >
: > : > > wrote in message
: > : > ups.com...
: > : > : Listen to the article and then check out the video link below the
: > : > : picture.
: > : > :
: > : > : http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4791099
: > : > :
: > : > : Here are my thoughts... this coming from a 40+ year old guy who
has
: > : > : done his fair share of illegal street racing, cruising and hanging
: > out.
: > : > : In my opinion, in *this* video these guys are completely out of
: > : > : control. With all the tire smoke, the drivers have no idea how
close
: > : > : the crowd is to their car. And members of the crowd have to be
either
: > : > : drunk and/or high to have the ass-end of 3,000 pound vehicles
flinging
: > : > : around to within feet of where they are standing. These people
are
: > : > : truly stupid! And in the article where they are molesting women,
: > : > : getting in fights, etc... they're criminals. We (cruisers) would
: > : > : distance ourselves from people like that, and they'd **** us [the
: > : > : cruisers] off because they'd spoil a good thing. The "good
thing"
: > : > : being hanging out with friends, trying to meet girls, and... every
: > once
: > : > : in a while... occasionally... okay every night, there'd be a
little
: > : > : street racing going on. But we were always cool about what we
did.
: > : > : Here were our rules:
: > : > :
: > : > : "Hanging out" meant we'd meet on the main drag in town usually in
the
: > : > : parking lot of a local business where we'd talk, bull****, listen
: > : > : music, and watch the other cruisers drive my. But we never
vandalized
: > : > : anything, or left garbage or beer bottles (hey, it was the
70s/very
: > : > : early 80s - driving and driving was okay if you only had a
couple.) in
: > : > : the parking lots.
: > : > :
: > : > : "Meeting girls" meant being on the constant lookout for cute girls
or
: > a
: > : > : car load of girls who were cruising looking for guys. We'd beep,
: > : > : they'd beep, we'd motion for them to stop somewhere, and from
there it
: > : > : was the usual teenage trying to get to know you better thing.
Guys
: > : > : harassing girls was frowned on, and any guy hurting girl was a
reason
: > : > : for that guy to get his ass kicked (beat up, not killed).
: > : > :
: > : > : "Street racing" usually meant a progression of "are you
interested"
: > : > : signs. The blip of a throttle, a drop of a gear before you
cruised
: > by,
: > : > : a little scratch on a gear change, a quick punch, after which, if
the
: > : > : other guy had returned the signs, the search for some clear
pavement
: > : > : quickly ensued. The race was on! Sometimes the race was a quick
: > light
: > : > : to light job. But most times any serious stuff/speed was done on
the
: > : > : far end of town where the road was wide and the traffic was really
: > : > : spread out. Or we'd head out to the highway and organize a
quarter
: > : > : mile run. Yeah, it was a little stupid and dangerous, but we
tried to
: > : > : keep it "controlled". Nothing like the guys in the video who are
: > doing
: > : > : donuts in a crowd of people. IMO, these guys are taking what we
did
: > : > : a *much* higher level. Our stuff, for the most part, was
misdemeanor;
: > : > : their's is mostly criminal. The cops would only give us the bump
once
: > : > : in a while if we stayed in one place too long or the crowd got too
: > big.
: > : > : For the most part, we policed ourselves... stupid people got
yelled
: > : > : at/ridiculed. On the other hand, IMO, the guys in this video
should
: > be
: > : > : arrested.
: > : > :
: > : > : However, arresting kids is the not the complete answer though.
: > : > : Cities/urban areas need to offer the kids some outlets. Drag
: > : > : strips/race tracks need to be available. That way when
"exhibitions"
: > : > : get busted up the cops can say, dude, next time drive 30-60
minutes to
: > : > : the track instead of paying a fine/ticket.
: > : > :
: > : > : Does anyone agree with me, or am I just being a hypocrite? What
are
: > : > : your thoughts?
: > : > :
: > : > : Patrick