Old May 25th 05, 02:20 AM
Arif Khokar

brink wrote:

> just wondering what people's thoughts are on this....
>
> in so. cal, the HOV lanes are restricted 24 hrs/day to 2+ occupants.
> exiting and entering the lanes are also restricted by solid white lines.
> there are dotted exit/entry areas every 1-3 miles that are pretty short
> (less than a quarter mile sometimes), especially for the volume, speed
> differential of traffic on routes with these lanes (i.e. HOV lanes cruising
> at 65-70 MPH while the rest of traffic stuck at less than 40) and bunches of
> cars moving in and out at those few allowed lane change points.
>
> in short, getting in and out of those HOV lanes at peak times can be a
> challenge, to say the least.
>
> anyway, my question is how strictly LLBing protocol should be applied to HOV
> lanes in y'all's opinions.

People say "y'all" in California?

Getting back to the subject, if you're passing traffic with a 30 mph
differential, you're not LLBing. If it takes less than 20 seconds to
catch up to the next vehicle one lane over to the right, then you don't
have to move right.

Of course, if you have a lot of people tailgating you, then you should
consider driving faster.