Old November 1st 18, 06:22 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

Default 2002 Chevy one ton 3500 5.1L express van starting problem

wrote:
> I'm selling this van for parts value as the frame is bad. It has been
> sitting for a long time and does not get started very much. For the
> past few months after not being started for awhile (intervals) it
> will crank fine but it will not start. To get it started I have to
> pull the tubular air cleaner and spray starting fluid into the hole.
> Depending on how long the van has sat seems to determine how much
> spraying is necessary to get it going. Once it starts it's fine. If
> you shut it off and start it right back up it starts fine but if it
> sits more than a day the above procedure has to be repeated. I;m not
> going to put alot of time or effort into this thing as I would just
> like to see it gone but I was wondering what could be going on here?
> Thanks, Lenny

Sounds like the fuel rail isn't holding pressure. Could be a stuck
injector, bad pressure regulator or bad check valve in the pump. If it's
that rusted it could also be a pinhole in the fuel line bleeding off the
pressure.

--
Steve W.