Old December 7th 09, 05:59 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Roy[_2_]

Default Alternator will not produce current

"George" > wrote in message
On Dec 7, 3:20 pm, "Dad" > wrote:
> "George" > wrote in message

> On Dec 7, 12:53 am, "Dad" > wrote:
>

> > "George" > wrote in message

> > > Hi there,

> > > I am trying to use a 10 S1 series Delcotron alternator, that is
> > > one
> > > of
> > > several spares for my 1970 Corvette, collected when I had access
> > > breakers yard. I have made all the mounting plates, pulley wiring
> > > etc. to connect one to a diesel engine for a home generator. I
> > > have
> > > manual and lots of spares, but I just cannot get the thing to
> > > energise
> > > and produce a charge for the battery.

> >http://www.theepicenter.com/tow052903.html
> >Hi there Dad.
> >It tells me " You don't have permission to access / on this server."
> >Do you know any way to test the regulators with an ohm-meter. Even
> >though I do not think this is the problem in this case, I have lots
> >of
> >un - proven regulator blocks, what readings can be expected at the
> >various terminals? My next step today will be to leave out the
> >regulator and try and feed in external excitation control to the
> >rotor
> >slip ring, - even an unregulated preset current would be OK in this
> >case. However the symptoms point to a power problem, or is it simply
> >not going round fast enough?
> >Regards George.

> Not sure how I can help you, that site has wiring diagrams for setting
> up home generators. Plus it gives you a smaller "A" style commercial
> pulley to use. What country are you posting from?- Hide quoted text -

Today I got diverted by less interesting chores, but I am in UK. Not
a particularly risky location, I would have thought.

I just tried again and got the same error 403 message. You must be
thinking it is not reaching excitation speed though, from your
comments. Perhaps I shall bolt it down and wind it up a bit more. It
is not bolted down at present and this is why I don't want to rev it
over fast tickover. It starts to walk about.

Regards George.

Sometime to excite a alt you have to rev them high briefly.