Old July 1st 11, 08:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
charlie

Default Weird AC problem.

On 6/30/2011 1:04 PM, XS11E wrote:
> > wrote:

>> An off the wall guess is that there is a bit of crud floating
>> around, and plugging the orifice. When the compressor shuts off,
>> the internal pressures start to equalize, and may be causing the
>> crud to move out of the way.

> That's a possibility...
>
>> The next question is when was the dryer changed?

> Not since I got the car, probably never.
>
>> With the old freon, anything you do is gonna be expensive.
>> (Salvage, filter, reuse, etc. requires equipment that was not
>> cheap!)

> Fix is easy, evac system, remove receiver/drier and scrap, remove
> compressor and drain oil, replace with R134a oil, replace
> compressor, install new receiver/drier, evac and recharge with
> R134a. Not all that expensive, even if a new/rebuilt compressor is
> needed, I'v done it with no problems and found the cooling was not
> reduced at all in spite of reading many comments to the contrary.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm no longer able to do that nor do I wish to pay
> the cost of having it done. The AC is very likely to remain
> non-functional.

The reason I asked about the drier is that sometimes old ones become
saturated? and little pieces get into an A/C system. The same is true of
rubber "O" rings, and metallic particles that get past the filter.

I had one system on a Mazda van that failed (compressor). The amount of
crud from the compressor was high, and looked like a gray paste. It was
all over. We had to flush out everything. At least the mileage was over
200k miles.