Old November 25th 09, 05:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Rusty Shackelford[_2_]

Default BugMe videos?

wrote:
> On Nov 22, 7:03 pm, Rusty Shackelford > wrote:
>> I didn't realize that you had departed the VW scene, though I did notice
>> that I hadn't seen you around for a while. That's a shame, you were an
>> asset to the community and hobby. In any case, I know, that one day,
>> you'll be back. :-). I left VWs for about 15 years at one time but I
>> always had a soft spot in my heart for the little cars and would take
>> special notice whenever I saw one on the road. One day I saw one on the
>> side of the road for sale and ended up dragging it back home.

> Well, I will admit, once these little airsuckers are in your blood,
> they never really go away...
> I haven't worked for the magazines, hence no real immersion into VWs,
> in close to 5 years. I moved out of VW Central (SoCal) and to a quiter
> lifestyle in the redwoods of Northern CA. I still have the Polar
> Silver Oval with the real Rader wheels, IDA's, EMPI steering wheel
> signed by Joe Vittone and Richard Guarino, Berg Signature shifter,
> blah blah blah, but that's about it. I sometimes still make an
> appearance at the Sacramento Bugorama's, and if you still read HotVWs,
> sometime in the future you may see a Blue Squareback article, written
> and photographed by a name from the past.... 8=)
> Oh, and Rusty, my diatrible was **NOT** supposed to be against you...
> if you took it that way, then I most humbly apologise.

Oh no, didn't think your fire was aimed at me, but just wanted to make
sure. Good to hear you've still got the Oval.

You know, you can get so wrapped up in a particular scene that it just
becomes stale to you at some point. Walking a way from something can do
you a world of good sometimes. And, you may find that after really
backing off from the scene for some years that one day it will seem
fresh again and the old fire will come back. It did for me. I don't
think humans really do well doing the same thing over and over year
after year. We all need a change of scenery now an then. And, contrary
to what the poets says, sometimes you *can* go home again. :-)