Old July 30th 08, 06:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_4_]

Default Hum after rear-end gear change

wrote:
> On Jul 30, 10:51 am, Michael Johnson > wrote:
>> Take the car back and tell him to fix it. Gears don't whine when
>> properly installed. Also, after he fixes this problem find yourself a
>> new mechanic.
>>
>> 88 Mustang GT Conv. wrote:
>>

>>> I'm coming to all of you as the experts.
>>> I've recently had my gears changed in my 1988 5.0L convertible to
>>> 3:73:1. (I only have 152,000KM on the car) There's a humming noise
>>> which comes from the rear-end which gets significanltly louder between
>>> 60-90 KM / Hr.
>>> I was told by the mechanic that this is a common thing with the gears
>>> and should be ignored.
>>> Just wanting to get some thoughts/opinions.
>>> The mechanic I'm dealing with is great and has always done excellent
>>> work on the car. He goes over and above what I've asked him to do with
>>> little cost.
>>> I'm just thinking that it should be normal as it can become quite
>>> annoying.
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Marc- Hide quoted text -

> I had 3.55 gears and trac loc put in my 69 coupe over 3 years ago. The
> entire rear end was custom built by a shop that builds ford 9" rears
> all the time for drag racing. So I know they know what they are doing.
> They test drove it. I drove it home 300 miles. I drive it maybe couple
> times a month in the summer time. Its made the whining sound ever
> since they were put in over 3 years ago. They work great. Its more
> noticable on the highway ofcourse. Im thinking that its fairly normal
> for aftermarket gears. Ive never had a problem.

I have to wonder if the difference was the rear ends. I've never had
an 8.8 do what you are talking about, but the 9" rear is different with
the removable snoot, correct? The only car I have ever owned that made a
noise from the rear end was a 73 Charger that had the 8 3/4 rear that
also has the removable snooty on the front.

--

TEACHER: Harold, what do you call a person who keeps on
talking when people are no longer interested?

HAROLD: A teacher