Old March 15th 16, 11:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Miata crash survivability

On Thursday, February 6, 1997 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, Dean wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience or information on how well the Miata
> performs in any kind of road accident? I have a late 1996 (October)
> MX5 (Miata) 1.8. Does the windscreen frame provide adequate protection
> in the (unlikely) event of a rollover or should I fit a rollover bar?
>
> I love the look of the car, especially with the top down.
>
> If you have information, please post follow up message to the
> newsgroup.
>
> Thanking you in advance, Dean

I had a 1995 Special Edition Miata with only 44K miles. One day on Hwy 49 just before entering Downieville I did not see the curve come up before it was too late. I hit the mountain side straight on. Both airbags deployed and the windshild cracked, but I walked away without a scratch. In a frontal collision the Miata will do OK. I do not know about roll overs. But if you do that kind of driving beat to get a roll bar. I perefr to drive with the hardtop installed too.