Old July 31st 08, 11:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default 10% Ethanol Gas Causing Poor Performance?

I am going to have to side with John C. at http://aircooled.net and
Rob ‘aussiebug’ and Dave at http://vw-resource.com .

Here are two more links:

http://aircooled.net/new-bin/viewpro... 200891080108

Solex, Brosol, Bocar and Kadron Main Jets
Part #: FSK0043
Price: $ 7.00 Due to oxygenated fuel, bumping your main jet size up a
little will make your car run better AND cooler. We recommend 130 the
34-3, and Kadron applications, even though Kadrons have 135s when new.
You need 1 main jet per carburetor.

------------------------------------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol...nd_controversy

Fuel system problems
Several of the outstanding ethanol fuel issues are linked specifically
to fuel systems. Fuels with more than 10% ethanol are not compatible
with non E85-ready fuel system components and may cause corrosion of
ferrous components.[126][127] Ethanol fuel can negatively affect
electric fuel pumps by increasing internal wear,[127] cause
undesirable spark generation,[128] and is not compatible with
capacitance fuel level gauging indicators and may cause erroneous fuel
quantity indications in vehicles that employ that system.[129] It is
also not always compatible with marine craft, especially those that
use fiberglass fuel tanks.[130][131]
Using 100% ethanol fuel decreases fuel-economy by 15-30% over using
100% gasoline; this can be avoided using certain modifications that
would, however, render the engine inoperable on regular petrol without
the addition of an adjustable ECU.[132] Tough materials are needed to
accommodate a higher compression ratio to make an ethanol engine as
efficient as it would be on petrol; these would be similar to those
used in diesel engines which typically run at a CR of 20:1,[133]
versus about 8-12:1 for petrol engines.[134]

In April 2008 the German environmental minister cancelled a proposed
10% ethanol fuel scheme citing technical problems: too many older cars
in Germany are unequipped to handle this fuel. Ethanol levels in fuel
will remain at 5%.[135]