Old March 30th 07, 07:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Abe Froman

Default 98 Civic auto tranny problem #2432

On Mar 18, 10:27 am, "Abe Froman" > wrote:
> On Mar 14, 3:55 pm, "Abe Froman" > wrote:
>
> > > It sounds like it's too full (since the problem happens when warm). Are
> > > you checking the tranny level under the right conditions? How much stuff
> > > was on the magnetic drain plug, just for interest sake, and are you
> > > planning to change the ATF two more times?
> > > 'Curly'

> > I suppose that could be the case. I drained the tranny then added 3
> > full quarts. There wasn't a whole lot on the magnet just a little
> > black colored metallic dust. I am planning to go today and pick up
> > some more ATF at honda. and drain and refill. Funny thing is, today
> > I haven't been able to duplicate the problem - (knock on wood). My
> > driving to day was 30 minutes of in town driving to work and 30
> > minutes back.

> > Any other insight?

> Well, the problem seems to have went away. Just to be safe I still
> drained and refilled one more time. Yesterday, I returned from a 400
> mile round trip and thetransmissionseems to be functioning 100%.

For the sake of completeness and for others who may have transmission
problems, I wanted to follow up, so here it is...

Well, it was too good to be true. Changing the fluid didn't work
after all. My tranny started slipping in 1st from a stop, shifting
really strange, hard shifting, sometimes "flaring" and it started
making clunking noises when I would pull up to a stop light. Finally,
while driving yesterday the check engine light came on (code 70) and
the tranny kicked out of fourth gear and down into 3rd. Wouldn't
upshift into 4.

I just replaced it.

I picked up a used tranny with 40k miles on it at my local salvage
yard. Got a one year warranty. Put it in myself. Total cost
including 8 quarts of honda atf, new exhaust gaskets, torque converter
O ring, 20" high floor jack, new deep well impact sockets, and a new
17" breaker bar - less than $500.

Followed the directions in the factory service manual. Took me 7
hours start to finish.

Now after driving it I realize my old transmission has been on the
fritz for a long time. Probably a year or more. Original tranny had
160k miles on it. Hope the "new" used transmission lasts another
100k. After going through all this, I plan on doing lots of regular
tranny service!!