Old March 14th 07, 02:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Abe Froman

Default 98 Civic auto tranny problem #2432

I have a 1998 Honda Civic EX with 154k on the odometer. 4 days ago I
did some spring maintenance and changed the engine oil and while I was
at it changed the tranny fluid and filled it with 3 qts Honda ATF.

A couple days later I took off from a stop light and it felt like the
tires were spinning on gravel or something. Kind of a shuddering of
sorts, only when taking off from a stop. Now after the car has been
driven for 30 minutes or so, if I get on the gas a little from a stop
it will do it most every time, usually followed by a sooner than
normal shift into second gear.

When the car is warm and I reverse out of a parking spot or my
driveway and shift into D4 there seems to be a lag of a couple seconds
before the forward gear engages.

I performed a "stall test" as outlined in the factory service manual
(because I have no pressure gauges - so it was basically all I could
do) and it was all within spec.

I called a local mechanic who speciallizes in Hondas and he theorized
the fluid might have been slightly low causing "cavitation". Fluid
is full.

Is there anything else I should check/have checked before I give up
and replace it?

Thanks guys