Old February 21st 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim

Default what's the condenser for on a mechanical voltage regulator?

wrote:

> "jim" > wrote in message
> ...\
>
> Kettering will work without a condensor.....for a short period of time.

It will work at a much much lower voltage. The points themselves and the
wiring have some capacitance but it needs more.

> It
> has little to do with the series
> resonant circuit.

As I said remove the spark plug and you have a resonant circuit that
will produce an AC waveform at the resonant frequency. Hook up an
O-scope and try it if you don't believe me.

> Kettering works by building an electromagnetic field in the coil during the
> 'make' or 'dwell' portion
> of the points. When you open the points, the field decays, and a high
> voltage is induced in the coil.
>
> If you have a condensor which is badly out of range, or none at all, the
> points will be compromised.

No they won't they will last forever because the engine won't run.

-jim