Old February 20th 07, 06:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default what's the condenser for on a mechanical voltage regulator?

"Don" > wrote in message

> You are correct. You beat me to it. Seems like there are a lot of
> people out there equating this condensor to condensor as in "points
> and condensor." WRONG!!
>
> Don
> www.donsautomotive.com

It is more a matter of degree than the electronics behind it for the
regulator.
RFI suppression capacitors can be used at a lot of places where there is
no functional or fundamental need for the.

The need for the capacitor is much more in a Kettering points setup, not so
much for RFI protection but to lengthen the life of the points themselves.
Left alone, the current through the points and the arcing due to this
current
can transfer metal from one face to the other causing early failure.