Old May 12th 04, 05:03 PM
C.R. Krieger

"JP Roberts" > wrote in message >...

> Your definition of handling superbly does not tally with the fact when I go
> skiing I can often find BMW drivers stranded or looking for their chains.
> I've driven RWD and can tell you again it's pretty close to useless in
> really bad weather.

While the BMWs you *don't* see are the 'Xi AWD cars that beat you
there ...

> > Z rated tires for any of these cars cost the same amount of money and are
> > available at reasonable prices. Tires for BMWs are no more expensive.

> But you will need to replace the rear ones much more often, if you enjoy
> spirited driving on winding roads, that is. We all know it is winding roads
> that are good fun.

And some of us know that twisty roads, autocrossing, and driving speed
events on race tracks wears out the *front* tires a lot more than it
does the rears - unless your idea of 'spirited driving' includes lots
of burnouts. It's worst on FWDs.

> At the end of your BMW life you will probably have spent more money on tyres
> for your BMW than I will have on my Quattro gear.

Actually, the end of *my* BMW life will have included driving Audi
Quattros (including turbos) for 14 years, lots of fun FWDs *and* lots
of RWD and a few AWD BMWs - not to mention our current Jaguar X-Type
AWD (a 3.0 5-speed Sport, so you can forget trotting out your tired
old 'but they're slow and have bad autoboxes' line). Of the lot, I
found the Audis (at least all of them after the first 4000/90Q) to be
the most boring. Even my Fiat 128 was more entertaining - when it
ran. ;^)
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; done that)