Old August 18th 20, 02:17 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
Ed Pawlowski[_3_]

Default What metric do you use to estimate remaining brake pad life on a typical economy sedan?

On 8/17/2020 6:46 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Aug 2020 12:28:47 -0400, Steve W. wrote:
>
>> There is no rule of thumb for brake wear because it depends more on the
>> driver, vehicle location and the pad materials than anything else.

> That's like saying there's no average lifespan for a person or vehicle.
> o It's a copout (in my humble opinion).
>
> Yes, there _is_ a rule of thumb.
> o For example, no front disc pads last the life of the vehicle.
>
> And as another example, no pads likely last only 10,000 miles either.
>
> There's an AVERAGE.
> o That's what I seek.

I've gone through pads in 10,000 miles. The rule of thumb you seek
depends on driving conditions.

When you first brought this up I mentioned my experience from city
living to rural living the the difference is huge. AVERAGE is
meaningless unless you know where you stand on the parameters. .