Old July 15th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,uk.rec.driving
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default Rearview Mirror query

bernard farquart wrote:
> "Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein)"
> > wrote in message
>
>>Pete wrote:

>>>Forgot to mention, it's not the whole thing that's come off - just the
>>>mirror itself where it clips onto the ball of the part that's stuck to the
>>>windscreen.
>>>
>>>The part that's stuck to the windscreen is stuck solid, so I was dubious
>>>whether I'd make things worse by forcing it off. That was why I was
>>>trying
>>>to 'tease' the mirror back onto the ball joint, but like I said, it's just
>>>not having it.

>>Ah, yeah, that's going to require so much force.
>>
>>Most of the time, the bracket slides off the mounting base glued to
>>the windshield; you might need a phillips head to loosen a screw.
>>Remove the mounting pillar from the base and apply force against the
>>ground, using a block of wood to reduce damage. Then reattach to the
>>base.
>>

> The cost of a replacement mirror is in the ten dollar range.
>
> Why would you be screwing around with repairing?
>
> Take the stub off of the windshield, there is a set screw usually
> (either phillips or allen)
>
> Get a replacement mirror for ten dollars.
>
> Get actual rear view mirror adhesive (super glue will not work)
>
> mount mirror above, below or next to old button
> (it is NOT coming off without a piece of your windshield)
> (and it will probably be a different shape than the new mirror)
>
> If your old mirror came apart at the joint, the joint is now
> too loose for the mirror to work properly anyhow.
>
> Bernard
>
> (I sell alot of these at the parts store)

yeah, what he said. Newer gm's use a torx screw to hold them on but
Bernard's other comments are still valid. If you're real
chea^H^H^H^Hfrugal, go to your local auto recycling emporium (aka
"junkyard") and unless you have one of those multi-function mirrors with
compass, thermometer, etc. built in you should be able to score a
serviceable replacement for $5 or less. Or check fleaBay if you live in
an area like I do where there's no junkyards in economical driving distance.

good luck

nate

(wish I had a junkyard around here...)

--