Old July 15th 07, 06:51 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,uk.rec.driving
bernard farquart

Default Rearview Mirror query

"Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein)"
> wrote in message
> Pete wrote:
>>

>>"Murderous Speeding Drunken Distracted Driver (Hector Goldstein)"
> wrote in message
. ..
>>> Pete wrote:

>>Forgot to mention, it's not the whole thing that's come off - just the
>>mirror itself where it clips onto the ball of the part that's stuck to the
>>windscreen.
>>
>>The part that's stuck to the windscreen is stuck solid, so I was dubious
>>whether I'd make things worse by forcing it off. That was why I was
>>trying
>>to 'tease' the mirror back onto the ball joint, but like I said, it's just
>>not having it.

> Ah, yeah, that's going to require so much force.
>
> Most of the time, the bracket slides off the mounting base glued to
> the windshield; you might need a phillips head to loosen a screw.
> Remove the mounting pillar from the base and apply force against the
> ground, using a block of wood to reduce damage. Then reattach to the
> base.

The cost of a replacement mirror is in the ten dollar range.

Why would you be screwing around with repairing?

Take the stub off of the windshield, there is a set screw usually
(either phillips or allen)

Get a replacement mirror for ten dollars.

Get actual rear view mirror adhesive (super glue will not work)

mount mirror above, below or next to old button
(it is NOT coming off without a piece of your windshield)
(and it will probably be a different shape than the new mirror)

If your old mirror came apart at the joint, the joint is now
too loose for the mirror to work properly anyhow.

Bernard

(I sell alot of these at the parts store)