Old November 2nd 04, 11:01 AM
Ricky Spartacus

"Alan Russell" > wrote in message om...
> > The Crank Angle Sensor generally sends out an AC signal. A
> > sensitive AC multimeter will do fine. To get a CEL (check engine)
> > code, you may need to crank of up to 18 seconds. Are you getting
> > a signal on the wire from the ECU to the ignitor on your new
> > distributor using that same testing device?

> Rick. Everything I read says the CAS is a hall effect, and requires
> 5v DC to work.. So that's how I tested it, not looking for AC.
> I did no testing on the new stuff. Just swap distributors, and start
> it up. It seems to work fine, so something in the dist. was hosed.
> After resetting the timing it runs as well as it ever did.
> I guess she has to keep it a while longer.
> Alan

Thanks for the clarification regarding the CAS used in Hondas. I had
the variable relucntance crank sensor in mind. Testing these reliable hall
effect sensors is usually done by back-probe the 2 output 5v signals. The
switching should be a clean 5v on then 0.0v off.

Reason for asking is that if you're getting a signal from the ECU to the
igniter on the new distributor then I would assume a bad CAS or the
like. Since CAS are known to be reliable.

Rick