Old December 6th 05, 06:40 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

Default New dodge van???

I have a 98 2.4 with about 120,000 miles. Yup needed a head gasket about
85,000 (not sure but this problem may have been resolved) ..replaced all the
stuff they took off as a matter of course...Bought the car used so I don't
know if it had the original brakes in it.. but have put in fronts and backs
since I have owned it...Almost all city of Chicago miles about 1/2 of that
expressway.. however that includes lots of stop and go rush hour traffic..
the few trips I took I got excellent mileage.. about 27 @ around 70
cruise,air on. I get about 14 in the winter and about 17-18 in the summer..
I have a light foot . Has had 2 batteries.. oil and filter about every
4000.. trans F&F about every 36,000... Original CV's, and hubs, 3 sets of
sway bar links,, 2 sets of shocks and struts... Evaporator leak about
110,000 replaced that and heater core..(they charged for the part only on
the heater core.. no labor) it has original radiator (did follow
recommendations for coolant change on that one to the letter). and condensor

Overall I think this has been a fairly good vehicle (not as good as the 3
prior cars.. Acclaims) but I think it's been OK.. I think the fuel economy
is decent and contrary to popular opinion I feel it has enough power..
however it is bit doggy with the air on. I think the newer ones with the 4
speed should have better economy and acceleration (just an opinion. no basis
in any facts) The seats on my 98 are light enough to move in and out by
myself...(I'm not superman.. just an old man).

I fully expect to get 2 more years out of this vehicle with 2 new "systems"
(at least)... trans, and rack and pinion think the engine will hold out for
another 30-40K miles. I think this could be a VERY good vehicle for you..but
I seriously doubt you would be able to find a 4 cylinder on to rent and try
it out.... It should serve well as a "run about" as long as you don't have a
tendency to "fill it up" and carry 800lbs of stuff around with you..

Hope that helps