Old August 2nd 20, 06:31 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
Arlen Holder[_5_]

Default What metric do you use to estimate remaining brake pad life on a typical economy sedan?

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 14:04:50 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 wrote:

> Every pad I've installed for decades has had them, including the ones that
> use electric wear sensors.

How many miles do you get per front pads, in general?

As for mechanical sensors, my bimmer has only one wear sensor per axle
o No mechanical sensor; only electronic (front left and rear right).

Although electronic is essentially mechanical, since it's a stub of plastic
that wears on contact, exposing the wires embedded inside that plastic.

One issue is removing the sensors often breaks them if you're not careful.

Since we rotate so frequently, checking brakes are easy; but this question
was for estimating miles for someone else who doesn't rotate as frequently
as I do (due to mountainous terrain causing specific "camber scrub" wear to
the inboard corners of the front tires).

At the moment, with the data we have, it's about 4,000 miles per pad mm.
--
Usenet works best when helpful adults share ideas politely with each other.