Old August 1st 20, 03:56 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,ca.driving,alt.home.repair
rbowman

Default What metric do you use to estimate remaining brake pad life on atypical economy sedan?

On 07/31/2020 03:56 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> The E-brake on the 1976 monsterhome (or some other elderly vehicle, it
> was decades ago that I saw this) had nothing to do with the brake, it
> was a clamshell that tightened on the driveshaft.

I don't know how many years it spanned but a '60 Plymouth with a
TorqeFlite had a drum on the tail of the tranny for the e-brake. When i
dropped in a manual, I didn't have an emergency brake. No big deal until
a state trooper asked me to demonstrate the effectiveness. Next step was
replacing the rear axle with one that had one and kludging up the
linkage. The car wasn't exactly factory stock when I got through with it.