Old July 31st 20, 10:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,ca.driving,alt.home.repair
The Real Bev[_5_]

Default What metric do you use to estimate remaining brake pad life on atypical economy sedan?

On 07/31/2020 02:03 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 11:50:43 -0700, The Real Bev > wrote:
>>
>>I wouldn't let it go that long now. I love my little Corolla and don't
>>want to hurt it. Rear drums, but I've never noticed a problem with
>>insufficient brake power from the rear. OTOH, how would I know?

> You probably wouldn't unless your front pads were wearing fast.
> The self-adjusters on rear drums are usually the weak point.
> Some adjust when you brake in reverse gear, others when you use the E-brake.
> Since I never (or seldom) use the E-brake here in the flatlands, my back shoes weren't even
> applying on one car I had. Wondered why my front pads were wearing out so fast.
> As I recall there was no mention of using the E-brake to adjust the rear shoes in the
> owners manual.

I remember about braking backwards, but I've never heard of using the
handbrake. I think they discourage calling them 'emergency brakes' now,
on the assumption that you'll think they protect you in an emergency.
Like 'safety belts' instead of 'seat belts'. I'll try to find something
about it in the manual.

The E-brake on the 1976 monsterhome (or some other elderly vehicle, it
was decades ago that I saw this) had nothing to do with the brake, it
was a clamshell that tightened on the driveshaft.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Give me all your brains or I'll blow your money out!"