Old July 31st 20, 01:38 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,ca.driving,alt.home.repair
Arlen Holder[_5_]

Default What metric do you use to estimate remaining brake pad life on a typical economy sedan?

On 30 Jul 2020 23:03:32 -0000, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> Teenagers can go through a set of brake pads in ten miles on the track.
> assuming they make it ten miles before the clutch wears out.

This is a college-aged girl who probably has never left skid marks on the
road even once, as I've seen her drive - and it's verrrrrry sloooooow.

Nonetheless, without an actual miles per millimeter of pad, it's not
helpful to tell me everyone is different, and every car is different, and
every road is different, as everyone knows that and so it isn't useful.

It's like claiming there is no such thing as a statistical average.
o There is a statistical average - but it takes data to arrive at it.

All I'm asking for is the data in miles per pad (or miles per millimeter).

I'm leaning toward 1000 miles per millimeter for those who brake hard, and
double to quadruple that (see The Real Bev's response) for normal driving.

All I want is number of miles per pad, where I can do the math (assuming 10
mm of pad is worn away in that time period, leaving 2mm of pad on average).

So far we have only two suitable responses:
1. I get 1,000 miles per millimeter of FF pads (Jurid/Textar)
2. The Real Bev gets about 4,000 miles per millimeter of pad

How many miles per front pad do others get?
--
Usenet is wonderful when everyone pitches in helpfully with knowledge.