Old July 30th 20, 11:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,ca.driving,alt.home.repair
Arlen Holder[_5_]

Default What metric do you use to estimate remaining brake pad life on a typical economy sedan?

On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 11:43:59 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:

> I seem to remember 40K on the fronts and 80K on the rears.

Hi The Real Bev,

Thanks for that information about the front pads, which is what I seek.
o Personally, I get about one thousand miles per millimeter of pad

The goal is to get those who have done the calculation to help out with an
estimate of the number of miles per (whatever) thickness of pad, on
average, that others would get (as I drive on mountainous roads a lot).

People either know how many miles they get, or they don't know it.
o So I thank you for that datapoint of another average'ish driver,

If you get 40K per pad, and if new pads are, oh, hmmmm... how thick?
<https://i.postimg.cc/4NzSKGFr/pads05.jpg>

I happen to have a few sets of "Centric Premium Ceramic" pads lying around,
P/N 301.09080, marked "CEN30109080 31AC9101 GG 02 B19" (i.e., cold/hot
friction rating of G/G, which is a friction coefficient of 0.45-0.55)
<http://www.napbrake.com/2018/02/24/friction-coefficient-brake-pads/>

The backing plate is 6mm & the pad, brand new, is an additional 12mm:
<https://i.postimg.cc/DwnYLN9m/pads06.jpg>

At 40K miles, that's about 40,000miles/12mm = about 3K miles per pad mm.

Given the worn pads are about as thick as the backing plate, that's:
o 6mm times about 3K miles/mm = about 18,000 miles left on those pads

> Don't they put those little metal squeakers on the pads any more? You
> can tolerate the squeaking for a long time, the grinding for a shorter
> time, and the hogging in for only a VERY short time. Don't ask me how I
> know this.

This is what they come with, apparently:
<https://i.postimg.cc/4NzSKGFr/pads05.jpg>

Regarding not asking how you know this, I know that steel on steel has
almost the same cold/hot friction coefficient as many brake pads people buy
(e.g., EE pads) where I've seen rotors worn down to the ribs and the brakes
"still work".

You get three times the miles I get, where I get around one thousand miles
per millimeter of pad, or thereabouts, on my bimmer (OEM Textar/Jurid pads,
with cold/hot friction ratings of F/F), looking at my records, but I live
in hilly country, where people would likely get more on flat land.

If we don't get further data, an average of two thousand miles per
millimeter might be our starting point, in which case that's about twelve
thousand miles left on those worn pads.
--
Usenet is wonderful when everyone pitches in helpfully with knowledge.