Old July 30th 20, 07:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Real Bev[_5_]

Default What metric do you use to estimate remaining brake pad life on atypical economy sedan?

On 07/30/2020 11:25 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 7/30/2020 1:33 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
>> What metric do you use to estimate remaining front brake pad life on a
>> typical economy sedan (assuming normal driving under normal conditions)?
>>
>> A neighbor's kid was heading off to college where her mother asked me to
>> take a look at her vehicle, where I found a few things to warn them of
>> such as this rack and pinion steering boot badly torn for some reason:
>> <https://i.postimg.cc/L4GHNsQG/boot01.jpg>

>> The owner asked me how many miles those pads had left under normal driving:
>> <https://i.postimg.cc/nrD3HTJK/pads03.jpg>
>>
>> I wasn't sure, so I guessed wildly at roughly about 5 thousand miles to go:
>> <https://i.postimg.cc/q7NyVq0y/pads04.jpg>
>>
>> But what metric do you use to estimate a pad's remaining life given only
>> the thickness of the front pads, and the fact that you are told the vehicle
>> is driven by a typical owner under typical driving on typical roads?

> What is normal? Nothing a teenager does is normal.
> What I use does not apply unless you are in the same situation.
> When I lived in the city, it was a stretch to get 12 to 15,000 miles
> from a set of pads. Stop sign on every corner, traffic lights on the
> main streets, even the highway would have some stop and go at a couple
> of spots.
>
> When I moved to another state and did a lot of highway driving, I got
> 50,000 miles from pads.

I seem to remember 40K on the fronts and 80K on the rears.

> You could measure them now and in 3000 miles to see how much wear and
> make a decent calculation from that.

Don't they put those little metal squeakers on the pads any more? You
can tolerate the squeaking for a long time, the grinding for a shorter
time, and the hogging in for only a VERY short time. Don't ask me how I
know this.

--
Cheers, Bev
Little Mary took her skis upon the snow to frisk.