Old December 15th 08, 01:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mortimer

Default Does brake fluid have a shelf life?

"Vic Smith" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 21:15:11 -0500, Nate Nagel >
> wrote:
>
>>metspitzer wrote:
>>> I found some at a relative's house that may be 15 years old.
>>> It is in a can with a screw off top. I didn't notice the brand.

>>If it is a metal can and has an airtight seal, it is probably OK.
>>However if the seal has been compromised in any way it is likely full of
>>moisture and only good for paint stripper. Personally I would not use
>>it. If it has ever been opened and partially used, it is definitely
>>trash. DOT 3/4 brake fluid is highly hygroscopic, this is why you
>>should change it every couple of years.
>>

> Oh hell, I never touched the brake fluid on my '88 Celebrity in the 14
> years it was in there.
> Never had any indication it was affected.
> Same with my current cars, one a '90 and the other a '97.
> Never touched the fluid.
> These are closed systems.

Don't they have a reservoir vessel under the hood with a removable screw top
where you can check and top up the level as required? I bet that top is not
100% airtight and will let a small amount of moisture in over the months and
years. Isn't replacement of the brake fluid something that is done at
service every few years?

I imagine the same is true of the power-steering fluid (if the car has PAS),
though the effect of water in the fluid is much less severe than for brakes.