Old December 15th 08, 03:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default Does brake fluid have a shelf life?

metspitzer wrote:
> I found some at a relative's house that may be 15 years old.
> It is in a can with a screw off top. I didn't notice the brand.

If it is a metal can and has an airtight seal, it is probably OK.
However if the seal has been compromised in any way it is likely full of
moisture and only good for paint stripper. Personally I would not use
it. If it has ever been opened and partially used, it is definitely
trash. DOT 3/4 brake fluid is highly hygroscopic, this is why you
should change it every couple of years.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.