Old December 15th 08, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_2_]

Default Does brake fluid have a shelf life?

"Steve W." > wrote in news:gi42pb$boc$1
@news.motzarella.org:

> metspitzer wrote:
>> I found some at a relative's house that may be 15 years old.
>> It is in a can with a screw off top. I didn't notice the brand.

Castrol and Girling fluids used to come in round metal cans with screw-off
caps. Even a metal cap has a polymer or coated-paper cap seal, and that's
the part that is not gas-tight. After 15 years that seal will have admitted
a lot of water molecules.

> Scrap it. Brake fluid sucks up moisture out of the air like the
> government sucks up money.
> Not worth the chance of contaminating the system.

Especially considering how cheap brand-new fluid is...

--
Tegger