Old December 14th 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mortimer

Default Does brake fluid have a shelf life?

"metspitzer" > wrote in message
>I found some at a relative's house that may be 15 years old.
> It is in a can with a screw off top. I didn't notice the brand.

Brake fluid is hygroscopic (it absorbs water). I'd have thought even a good
screw stop would have let in significant amounts of moisture from the air
over the course of 15 years, rendering the brake fluid compressible and
therefore no use for applying sufficient braking force to the brakes when
the pedal was pressed.