Old July 12th 18, 09:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Percival P. Cassidy[_2_]

Default how does the map get into the radio?

On 07/12/2018 01:18 PM, micky wrote:

>>> Get the radio without it.
>>>
>>> I don't know about the prices, but some of the new cars with navigation
>>> have a USB slot where you download the maps on a computer and then
>>> transfer them with a USB drive to the car.
>>>
>>> As many said, just get a Garman or such with the lifetime updates for
>>> free.

>> WE still have our Garmin with lifetime updates, but we gave up using it:
>> Before a longish trip about five years ago, I updated the maps, with the
>> result that it was telling us things like "keep left" where there was no
>> intersection or ramp,

> I think you were taking those words as traffic instructions, when they
> were actually political. Garmin was taken over by a commie pink
> consortium.
>
> and was showing us driving in the middle of a
>> cornfield when we were in fact on the highway.

> And by the anti-farm lobby.
>
>> Maybe a further update would solve the problem, but the Sygic app on the
>> phone is much better, with a heads-up display mode and lane assist.

> They have 10 apps. The first one just gave me directions to Bratislava.
> Which one do you use?

> https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...com.sygic.aura

I do not have all the US maps installed at present -- only the ones for
this region of the USA. They have maps for many countries.

I now see that they also have a version that connects to the
infotainment system on some manufacturers' cars.

They have free trials -- seven days, perhaps. You could start off with a
fairly basic version, and they often have major discounts (not
infrequently 70%) on various upgrades, such as the heads-up display and
traffic-information features.

Perce