Old November 11th 05, 04:57 PM
Scott Hughes

Default 2000 Miata - Check Engine Light

"DBLZOOM" > wrote in
oups.com:
> If you suspect the cataylic convertor you should take it to a Mazda
> dealership and have them check it out. The catalytic convertor is
> warranted for 80,000 miles under the emmission control warranty (at
> least here in the States).
>

> Carol wrote:
>> check engine light came on again. Took it back, he checked it out and
>> checked the settings for the Catalytic Converter (which showed OK).
>>
>> He is now
>> saying that I need to replace the Catalytic Converter (its around
>> $1200) !!
>>
>> Carol

I'll second that about the 80k mi warranty. Tho iirc, it was a US fed
mandated warranty, so might not apply for you. Of course, if you're over
80k mi, it's moot anyway. I had my cat on my OTM replaced at the
79,800mi mark for free. On the bright side, I've been told by more than
one knowledgable person that there's a good chance the cat itself was
actually fine and that it was just a seal or something else that had the
problem. Could have fixed the problem for much less if it wasn't gonna
be warranty covered. If the warranty solution isn't available for you,
I'd definately get an opionion from a trusted mechanic or 2 before
replacing the cat. I've also been told that the $1200 that a dealer
charges for that is way more than it should be for that job (at least in
the Subaru world). Good luck.

-Scott