Old September 29th 12, 05:16 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
uncle_vito

Default Final missing Briggs Cunningham Le Mans Corvette discovered

>> alternator, carb are long gone, although all these were likely
>> replaced by Cunningham for racing, anyway. The car would definitely be
>> worth a million, but not on the same terms as a matching number car.

> Most likely they will be able to save the frame with the header frame. No
> way will they move the numbers only. Most, if not all, fiberglass panels
> could have been damaged during its racing days and will be replaced.
>
> Guess what, when you race a car like that you will lose an engine,
> transmissions, rear ends, and most other parts that are hung on like the
> generator, alternators were still 3 years away. It will become a matching
> numbers car as it was raced or it won't be worth the price they paid for
> it. There is a place within 30 miles of me that will supply you an engine
> and transmission setup to match any date and size engine you want to puke
> out the bucks for, and it will be large.

I know you can buy matching number parts, but according to NCRS rules, you
have to say that although the numbers match, the components are not
original.

I have a short block for my 64 with correct casting date and number stamping
on my garage floor. Not original, but purchased like you mentioned.

I do not understand how they could get matching numbers as raced. I do not
think anyone recorded the component numbers with the race parts in them.
Perhaps for the engine, the pad would be blank since it was never in a new
car. Other parts do not have serial numbers but need to correctly dated.
They can get that too. So the car could be 'matching numbers' as close to
correct as possible.