Old January 17th 07, 02:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default dodge caravan auto transmission life add tranny oil cooler

Steve wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > since 1990 on 4 older caravans I must have gone thru 10 transmissions,
> > although AAMCO covered some under a lifetime warranty. A good friend
> > has a 90 dodge spirit on 3rd transmission.

> Well, AAMCO is probably responsible for about 8 of those failures if
> that's the transmission shop you're using. RUN AWAY!
> >
> > will a oil cooler help extend tranny life?

> Generally, yes. Keeping the transmission temperature down is always a
> good thing. And the electronic Chrysler transmissions are a little hard
> on the fluid because they run full hydraulic pressure all the time,
> unlike older transmissions that reduce pressure when the throttle is
> lightly applied. Running full pressure allows the computer to always be
> able to modulate clutch application correctly, but it does generate a
> bit more heat.
>
> On the other hand, the most common causes of problems with these
> transmissions are not related to heat. The most common thing is not
> running the correct fluid (ATF +3 or ATF +4) and scAAMCO has been
> notorious for just throwing Dexron fluid in them. That's certain death.
> The other most common problem is sensor failure- whenever the input or
> output speed sensor fails, the transmission will go into "limp" mode
> (2nd gear all the time) and people tend to keep driving them that way,
> turning the key off and back on to reset the transmission. That's rough
> on them, because when they get reset they try to run through the gears,
> but with an incorrect speed reference the shift characteristics are wrong.
>
> The third common cause of failure is hardware problems with the early
> (pre-93 for the most part) transmissions. Cracked snap-rings, things
> like that. But those should have been fixed LONG ago in any new
> transmission that was installed.
>

> > as of today I have a 92 and 94 both with possible tranny troubles.
> >
> > I carry a lot of weight but dont beat the vehicles, use them for work

> That should be fine, but it is a case where a cooler would be helpful.
> The best thing you can do is get service IMMEDIATELY if you have
> "possible tranny troubles," and go to a shop that knows Chrysler
> transmissions and stocks the correct fluid. Make sure they show you
> bottles of ATF +3 or +4 sitting on the shelf before you agree to let
> them service the car. If they say anything about using Dexron with any
> sort of additve that "makes it compatible" with Chrysler transmissions,
> run like HELL. And call them idiots over your shoulder.

THANKS! My 92 with 3.0 engine doesnt appear to be shifting into top
gear, I hope its not rebuild time

my 94 missed a couple shifts pulling out from a dead stop, I added a
little of that transmission medic stuff since it was a little low.

kinda depressed about vehicles currently.

My AAMCO was a good deal, 5 or 6 free transmissions in 300,000 miles.

sorry today I finally junked it with about 400,000 miles on it.

my best friends dodge spirit has had repeated transmission rebuilds,
driven by his daughter she isnt beating it, i used to date her. her dad
been stuck with the bill, your response will likely get a cooler added
soon.