Old January 18th 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default brake pads

Your wet braking issue may be the same as the one occurring with the 99's.
There is a revised shield or back plate that was used when owners complained
of poor braking in wet weather. The issue was largely ignored by Mazda in
the US. I had wet weather braking problems with my 99. At the time, Mazmart
in Atlanta had a barn full of NB Miata's with front end damage. I spent
several hours on the phone with mazda customer service. First, they refused
to admit there was a problem or that alternate parts were available. Next
when presented with the revised part numbers, they tried to say that the
parts were for european versions only. I was given the name of a mazda
person within miata support who was knowledgeable concerning the issue.
Shortly thereafter, the dealer was installing the revised parts under
warrenty.

There was a thread concerning the wet braking issue on the miata.net forums.
I used Hawk pads as well, and found that they wore rapidly, made a constant
mess on the rims, and when it was time to replace them, I ended up replacing
the rotors as well as returning to stock pads.

http://www.dommelen.net/miata

http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/