Old December 9th 04, 05:43 AM
Ray

The Cat wrote:
> If you live in Canada, you've probably heard of Quaker State's Winter oil.
> Haven't looked at the bottle yet, but I'm guessing it is a synthetic or
> synthetic blend with the word "Winter" on the bottle at twice the price.
> The 10W30 conventional oil in my car's engine did not perform too well at
> -40 last year, so I'm looking for an alternative, but not this offering.
>
> Would a synthetic blend perform better for cold starting than conventional
> oil? Is there a particular brand or rating that is more suited to the 14
> year old engine in my vehicle in these conditions (-40 degrees)? Would a
> conventional oil rated at 5W30 be just as good for less cost?
>
> Thanks in advance for tips or URLs.

I've started to use 0w30 in my 2.8 Jimmy with 275,000km for the winter.
When it's -30 and I forgot to plug in at work, it turns over like it was
zero. I live in Manitoba, where we had a week where it didn't get ABOVE
-30. The only downside - I think the valve cover leak leaked more
because the stuff is a bit thinner. Changing back to 5w30 in the summer
was easier than doing the gaskets. (yes, I'm lazy and busy.)

Anyway, try 0w30. Same price as regular synthetic.

Btw, what kind/year of car? Most cars now spec 5w30 for -40 operation.

Ray