Old December 21st 05, 04:07 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Shifter technique

> If your transmission does not have synchros (or they are worn
> out/broken) wouldn't you have to do precisely what was described
> (along with appropriate clutch disengaging/reengaging and
> rev-matching)?

I suppose, but in ordinary passenger vehicles, how likely are you to have to
worry about that today? The article referenced includes several obvious
mistakes. The huge one is that it says to release the clutch pedal
*gradually* while upshifting. Well, I guess that's proper technique if you
LIKE replacing your clutch every few months. The clutch pedal is
binary, NOT analog. If you are attempting to upshift while the car is in
motion, you do NOT ride the clutch. That is, unless you really are looking
for a good excuse to trade that vehicle for something else. -Dave