Old October 19th 05, 03:11 PM
Mike Romain

Default BB 366 - rockers clatter; oil pressure but no oil at rockers

Ok, I am going to go along with the distributor clocked wrong from what
you are saying.

I think it may have been clocked wrong before you started as well.

It really sounds like your distributor has to fit one way only and if it
is off a tooth it will impede or totally block oil flow.

The vehicle can 'run' easily with the distributor 'body' physically
pointing in any direction as long as the wires are clocked to the rotor.

Before I went totally nuts on it, I would find a book or photo that
shows the proper positioning of the distributor body and set it that
way. You might have to rotate the oil pump pickup and reclock the plug
wires to do this.

I also think you have at least one collapsed lifter on that #5 valve or
the oil pressure is just too low to pump it up or pump the crud out of
it.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's