Old April 2nd 17, 01:50 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,ca.driving
Ed Pawlowski

Default I used to buy tires from TireRack - now SimpleTire (how can theydo it?)

On 4/1/2017 4:48 PM, Jonas Schneider wrote:

>> What he does is give me good service year round no matter what the
>> problem is.

> What you're saying is fair enough that, while price matching gains you
> nothing, keeping your business "in the family" gains you "good service".
>
> I have nothing against good service, but since I mount and balance my own
> tires, I can't think of why I would need that good service?

Very few of us mount our own tires. I can't justify the investment when
I buy a set of tires every18 months at best.

> But if good service is really what you were after, then "price matching"
> isn't part of that equation, as making the local brick-and-mortar guy lower
> his price to online rates isn't likely to make him want to give you better
> service, is it?

Let's call it "good value". I don't mind paying a little more at times
but I certainly don't want to get gouged. I try to check out prices
before buying anything. Lowest price is not always the cheapest buy.

> What's the absolute worst thing that can happen to a tire?
>
> The worst thing is a non-repairable injury, right?
> What's so bad about that?
>
> All you do is put the spare tire on, and fire up a web browser, and order a
> new tire shipped to your house or to the local tire installer.
>
> Twenty bucks paid to the local installer, and your worst fears have been
> repaired with a brand new tire.

Ask the guy that has a flat spare because he never check it.

> To spend 600 dollars on four tires is astronomical.
> What kind of car has replacement tires that are $150 each?
>
> I'm not at all saying you can't find tires that *sell* for $150 each,
> because they are all over the place. But if you take the OEM spec for your
> tires, and if you can't find a tire that meets that OEM spec, and that
> isn't a *lot* less than $150, then you didn't look all that hard.

You'd be right if I was driving my '62 Corvair with 13" wheels. I need
245/45R18 and cheap ones ar $92 and go up to $260. I drive enough to
justify a good tire over one that just has to go 2 miles to the grocery
store.

> However, you're NOT getting the best priceerformance deal at 600 bucks
> for a set of four tires. That's fine, if you're flush with money, simply
> because money isn't important to anyone who has a lot of it.

Questionable. I want a good tire when I hit 100 mph so I;m willing to
pay for it.